Saturday, December 20, 2008

Something to share from one of our favorite guys...


Jason Wilber is a great guy, and a terrific musician (He played most of the guitar on Melissa's album this past year as well as a lot on Bobby's the year before). I wanted to share this with you all, a nice story and something to think about as the year winds down.


From Cain’s Ballroom To Carnegie Hall (and back)

Happy Holidays and/or Merry Christmas to you. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season. I for one am looking forward to some time at home. This past year of shows has gone by so quickly. I started it off with John Prine at Carnegie Hall and finished up this past week in Tulsa, OK just a few blocks from Cain’s Ballroom, where I played my first concert with John almost 13 years ago.

Instead of playing Cain’s Ballroom, this time we played the Brady Center, a very nice theater that looked to have been built back in the ’20’s. It’s been refurbished of course. The night after I played the Brady Center with John, I did a solo show right down the street at a little place called Dwelling Spaces. The show was set up by Scott Aycock, host of the radio show Folk Salad, who also opened the show. As luck would have it there was a small ice storm forecast to hit right at the same time as the concert and we ended up playing for 9 (very appreciative) people to the accompaniment of the falling ice crystals pelting the metal awning of the building. So it goes.

There is something poetic (to me) about starting the year playing with John Prine to a sold out crowd at Carnegie Hall and ending the year in Tulsa playing to 9 people. As my friend Stephen Bruton once explained to me: “A music career doesn’t always progress in a linear fashion.”

www.jasonwilber.com
http://jasonwilber.wordpress.com/

No comments: