Monday, November 30, 2009

Welcome to the hood!


My friend Tony brought over some of his home-made Tiramisu yesterday, and we got to talking. He and his wife bought a place just a few blocks away from us, and it feels like he's in the hood now.

Tony is one of the most talented musicians and producers that I know and have had the pleasure of working with, and when the conversation turned to business, and how to survive in a world where, as Tony said; 'Anyone with a computer can be a producer', I started thinking about neighbourhoods.

More specifically, the Internet is just a big, new neighbourhood. While strolling around, I've seen lots of signs, buy this, buy that, people shoving their wares in my face, but I've also made friends, met some great people, and learned a lot about the area where I hang out.

Having a successful business online, is the same as having a successful business off-line. Say you're a plumber. You find a place you like, you set up shop, you get to know your neighbours, you chat with other shopkeepers and people who live in your area, you do a bit of advertising and before you know it, someone's sink is clogged and you get the call.

It's a terribly old fashioned way of doing things in this 2.0 world, but I truly believe it works, and Rave On is living proof. We work with friends and neighbours, and people who happen to be visiting our neighbourhood, which now encompasses the world- how lucky are are we!?

Welcome to the hood Tony and Anna!

http://jonesfortones.ca
http://www.gucioblog.com

No comments: