Thursday, August 19, 2010

New ways of thinking.


If there is one thing the new music industry is giving us, it is the chance to think outside the box.

Rave On has always been trying to get music to people who can't get out to venues, but lately we've even been talking about just making our own venues.

Things I know: a) people are curious and b) music will draw a crowd almost anywhere.

There have been quite a few instances where this has happened to me, two that come to mind right away; I use to go to Burnaby Mountain Park for a study break ~ one day I heard something amazing coming from the rose garden behind the restaurant - I found there, practicing away, the SFU Pipe Band - so cool.

Next, while walking the dog in my local park, I heard the faint sounds of some pretty interesting music coming from the area behind the Cenotaph - I looked around and there in the morning light were a group 20 or so older ladies in black doing some sort of Tai Chi with swords (sorry if there is a name for this, I don't know it).

Anyway, my point is, that musical performance can take place almost anywhere - here are some ideas about venues, but think even further outside the box!

And thanks to Makeda Taylor for posting this today, an article which goes hand in hand, with the above about selling out your shows!

Now get out there and be creative!


No comments: