Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Rocket


Having grown up in the 60's and 70's I developed a sort of fear of Canadian content, be it literary, in television or film. Although I know better now, I do still get a luke warm shiver of that old fear up my spine when C brings something 'Made In Canada' home from the library.

It happened again last night when he pulled out 'The Rocket' (ahem)~ The Maurice Richard Story. Of course I am the biggest hockey fan and grew up, literally, in the rink, but I did audibly groan at the suggestion. I know who Maurice is and was, and respect his talent, but I am a west coast girl and a Canuck die hard.

Ok well, I was proven wrong yet again, with my fear of Can Con - the movie was brilliant and I had no idea of the politics of the time, so I even came away feeling educated (albeit from one perspective anyway).

I also realized that unless people speak out, change does not happen. So, in my next post, I'm cutting loose.

No comments: