Monday, May 11, 2009

Ignorantia legis neminem excusat


As part of my Criminology undergrad, I took a year of law. This is one of the first things we learned. Happily this is not the case in the world of music and I can easily and confidently admit that I know nothing and I'm glad of it.

I have no idea how things work, who I should know or the ins and outs. It's a good thing because if I did know all that I would be spending all my time breaking old habits rather than getting the job done.

The music industry of today is an entirely new animal, and though I have been a musician all my life, I have only been a producer and involved in the industry for less than 10 years. This is happy timing because I came into this arena right at the beginning of the changes and with no knowledge of how things worked, I just started doing what came naturally, what I thought best and what seemed logical.

What I have found so far is: not everything works, there are still some of the old ways left, (and they seem to be more of a hindrance really), and that anybody can do anything, sky is the limit, and most importantly, that this industry is now set in motion and is still evolving.

I also think that it will now expand exponentially, and will keep on with it's momentum even after social media has hit a wall.

It's a good time to be fluid, with things changing so quickly...so don't panic, breathe, and ride the wave.

No comments: